“I think that if they had a doctor in there, they would have got an ambulance immediately.
“The girl who was supposed to be doing the examination never brought out a stethoscope or anything. They just put him in the room next door and that was the last we saw of her.”
An Atos spokesman said: “We would like to express our condolences to Mr McGarvey and
As soon as we were made aware that Mr McGarvey had taken ill, we offered our assistance and called for an ambulance.”
A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: “The call was clinically triaged as a non-emergency based on detailed information provided by the caller.
Mr Groves’ father said he believed a potential change to his son’s employment and support allowance (ESA) benefit “must have” weighed on Mr Groves.
He said: “He has obviously had it in his mind. They basically told him that his assessment was coming up again.
“He knew it probably would be the end of his sickness and disability and he would go back on to [jobseeker’s allowance].
“He said he would not be able to manage on that wage a week. It is all part and parcel of it.”
So sad, yet another victim.
A “sweet and gentle” 44-year-old man with mental health conditions appears to have starved to death after his benefits were cut.
Mark Wood, of Bampton, Oxfordshire, was deemed to be fit for work, which led to his sickness and housing benefits being cut about four months before his death in August last year. This had left him with £40 a week to live on.
I missed this at the time, however, like all other victims of this vile regime, Mr Robinson deserves to be remembered:
“Undoubtedly the DWP personified by Ian Duncan Smith and Lord Freud had a part to play in implementing the policies that would make Hitler proud.”
Mr Robison, of Furzefield, Crawley, had battled depression after failing to find work.
A grandad who had just found out his benefits were being stopped shot himself dead – after telling friends he was “unable to cope”.
Shaun Pilkington, 58, was sent a letter saying he was to lose his Employment and Support Allowance, which he got after a long-term illness.
He was told he would have to be reassessed and needed to prove he was eligible. But as the hearing approached, friends said Shaun, a licensed gamekeeper, became discouraged.
Days later he called police and said he was about to kill himself. They found him dead at his flat.
Sadly, this blog notes another death at the hands of terrorist Iain Duncan Smith:
A grieving mum claims the Government drove her vulnerable son to suicide by pressuring him to get a job.
Recovering alcoholic Michael McNicholas, 34, was found dead on a golf course a day after receiving a second letter from the Department for Work and Pensions demanding a medical to see if he was fit for work.
His mother Sue, 56, said: “The letter upset him and I feel it played a big part in his suicide. He wasn’t well enough to be in work.”
She said he was also refused a plastering course by Jobcentre staff in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs.
Another victim of the cruel and inhuman regime . RIP Mr Salter:
The 53-year-old, who also suffered agoraphobia, was about to be kicked out of his housing association home when he hanged himself in the hall.
A coroner ruled the Government’s decision to axe Tim’s meagre incapacity benefit contributed to his death.
And the former assistant store manager’s sister Linda Cooksey told how his fitness to work test was carried out by a physiotherapist with no experience of mental health issues or knowledge of his blindness.
This blog is sad to post about yet another death. RIP Mr Jones:
Denis Jones, aged 58, was discovered at his Tarleton Avenue home, in Atherton, on December 1 after a friend became concerned about him after not seeing him for several days and called the police.
The death was recorded as due to natural causes but James McIntyre, a close friend, wants others to know that they are not alone in struggling to make ends meet.
He said: “Denis was like an uncle to my children and to see him suffering was horrendous. His benefits were cut five weeks before he died because he had returned a form late.
RIP Jaqueline, Via the Daily Mirror:
A former nurse who was unable to work killed herself after her disability benefits were stopped.
The family of Jacqueline Harris has slammed the government’s assessment of the 53-year-old, who was partially sighted, required walking sticks, had a bad back and was in constant pain due to arthritis in her neck.
Despite this, the widow’s benefits were cut in January after a ruling said she was fit to work.
Jacqueline lost her appeal against the decision.
On November 2 she died from a suspected overdose – 13 days before her second appeal was to be heard.
Charles Barden, of South Park Road, Maidstone, was found dead at his three-bedroom house on the same date his wife Sadie passed away 19 years earlier.
At an inquest into the 74-year-old’s death, DS Sophie Keeling said Mr Barden had told friends he was concerned about his finances and that he would be affected by the change to housing benefits.